Dr. Tim Persoons
Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical, Manufacturing & Biomedical Engineering at Trinity College Dublin, and Visiting Faculty in the NSF Cooling Technologies Research Center at Purdue University.
Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Funded Investigator in SFI Research Centres CONNECT, SSPC and MaREI, and SFI Strategic Partnership ESIPP.
PhD in Mechanical Engineering from KU Leuven (2006) and MSc in Mechanical-Electrotechnical Engineering from KU Leuven (1999).
My research deals with fluid mechanics and control of convective flows for enhanced sustainability in electronics cooling and energy system integration.
- 50+ journal and 100+ conference publications and invited lectures, 2000+ citations, h-index 24
- Secured €4.5M in national and international funding (€141M for all partners), including €1.5M in direct contributions from industry collaborators
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology
- Editorial Board Member, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science
- Scientific Committee Member, International Workshop on Thermal Investigations of ICs and Systems (THERMINIC)
- Member, EUROTHERM Committee
- IEEE European Ambassador, Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (ITHERM)
- 2020, Elected Fellow of Trinity College Dublin
- 2020, Harvey Rosten Award for Excellence in the Physical Design of Electronics
- 2020, Teaching Hero Award by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education and the Union of Students in Ireland
- 2015, Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education, School of Education, Trinity College Dublin
- 2014, Teaching Innovation Award from the Faculty of Engineering, Mathematics and Science, Trinity College Dublin
- 2014, Christoffel Plantin Prize, nominee
- 2013, Hartnett-Irvine Award by the International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer (ICHMT)
- 2012, Senior Research Fellow, Trinity College Dublin
- 2010, Marie Curie International Mobility Fellowship of the Irish Research Council, hosted by School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University (2010-2013)
- 2008, Postdoctoral Fellowship of the Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology (IRCSET), Trinity College Dublin (2008-2010)
- MEU44B04 Heat Transfer, Trinity College Dublin (2020-present)
- MEU44B07 Computer Aided Design, Trinity College Dublin (2012-present)
- ME51100 Heat Transfer in Electronic Systems, Purdue University (P/T) (2018-present)
- Past teaching:
- MEU44B13 Fluid Mechanics II, Trinity College Dublin (2017-2020)
- MEU33B03 Mechanics of Solids, Trinity College Dublin (2012-2020)
- MEU22E11 Numerical Methods, Trinity College Dublin (2012-2016)
- H01N2A Energy Conversion Machines and Systems, KU Leuven (P/T) (2009-2010)
- MEU33B01 Thermodynamics, Trinity College Dublin (P/T) (2007-2008)
- MEU44B03 Thermodynamics, Trinity College Dublin (P/T) (2007-2008)